Company: McAllister Towing & Transportation
Location: Port Jefferson
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Job DescriptionDescription/Job SummaryReports to:
- The Oiler is responsible to the Chief Engineer on duty for
routine matters and ultimately accountable to the Captain of the
- NoneDescription of Duties:
- Maintain the cleanliness and sanitary condition of the engine
- Lubricate, clean and paint machinery spaces such as steering
space, boiler room, generator room, bow thruster engine room and
- Assist the engineer on duty with daily maintenance of main and
- Assist in overhauling of engines and their components.
- Assist with safety and security duties as assigned.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the Mate, Captain or
Engineer.Required SkillsPhysical Requirements:The unpredictable,
ever-changing and inherently dangerous nature of vessel operations
require the Oiler to be physically qualified to ensure his/her own
safety, as well as that of the vessel and crew. Specific physical
- Adequate vision (i.e., absent any color blindness or impairment
that cannot be corrected with prescription lenses).
- Adequate hearing.
- Capable of walking and standing on wet surfaces for extended
periods of time.
- Able to handle heavy lines and operate heavy machinery.
- Ability to climb a 12-foot ladder without assistance.
- Ability to hoist oneself up and over a 12-inch wide, 6 foot
- Sufficient strength to:
- Lift 100 lbs. from deck to waist level;
- Lift 50 lbs. from deck to shoulder level;
- Lift 35 lbs. from deck to overhead; and
- Pull (drag) 120 lbs. at least 20 feet.Required
- Current U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC).
- Pass pre-employment drug test.
- Pass pre-employment physical.
- Entry Level positionRequired EducationMinimum Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent.DetailsTraining Requirements:
- Vessel Familiarization Checklist
- Security Qualification ChecklistFLSA Status:
- Exempt*This position description does not promise or imply that
the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that
the position may not change or be eliminated. Employees are always
expected to follow their supervisor's instructions and to perform
the tasks requested by their supervisors.
Keywords: McAllister Towing & Transportation, Stamford , Oiler, Other , Port Jefferson, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!